Saint Paul College of Ilocos Sur
Paulinian education in Ilocos started in 1905 when
Mother Candide Cousin accepted the invitation of
Monsignor Dennis Dougherty to give Catholic education to
young Ilocano girls.
Seven Paulinian sisters, headed by Sister Marthe de St.
Paul, began the elementary, catechetical and musical
instruction, as well as the teaching or arts and crafts
to young girls. Intermediate instruction for young
ladies began in 1912. The school was first known as the
Girl’s College of Our Lady of the Rosary, which then
changed to the Rosary Academy.
The incorporation of tertiary education for women
happened only in 1946, as it was delayed by World War
II. The school became known as Rosary Junior College. As
more programs ranging from two-year to four-year
programs in the field of education, home economics and
music were recognized, the academy became known
Rosary College. The school’s concentration then was in
producing the best teachers.
Rosary College became known as St. Paul College of
Ilocos Sur (SPCIS) in 1971. SPCIS became recognized
academic excellence with spiritual formation. Proving
their wholistic formation, the sisters and their
students involved themselves in the cultural activities
of Vigan, holding annual concerts, operettas and plays
that the community looked forward to.
Male high school and college students were accepted to
this once all-girls school in 1978. It was during this
time that business programs were introduced.
The old SPCIS school building can be found near the St.
Paul Cathedral. As SPCIS expanded, it built new
buildings in its new site in Bayubay, San Vicente. There
it built new structures for students from kindergarten
to college, complete with gymnasium, audio-visual rooms,
libraries, laboratories, canteens and the Pere Louis
Chauvet Hall. The move to the new school location
started in 1997.
However, the old home of the Rosarians and Paulinians
who have become leaders in their own fields has not been
forgotten. A marker can now be found there with SPCIS’
centennial logo, attesting to the 100 years of
contribution by Paulinian educators in Ilocos Sur.
At present, SPCIS’ college department has level-one
accredited courses in commerce, computer science,
education and liberal arts. Its new programs cater to
current industry needs and local human resources’
strength--- BS Computer Science, BS Information
Technology, BS Nursing and BS Tourism.
SPCIS’ high school department also offers a
science-enriched curriculum beginning in 2001.
department also became the first secondary school
accredited in Region one.
The elementary department did
not remain behind as it also received accreditation for
level one in 2004.